Jan 27, 2009

I miss the Canadian healthcare system

Starting last Sunday Jan 18, an odd sensation started to happen to me. I slowly started to to get a rash on my arms from some sort of allergic reaction. I won't get into the gory details, but it grew into a full blown inflammation of my face and neck and the rash spread throughout my body. The odd thing was that I felt completely fine, minus all the itching. I could breathe properly, I still had my appetite, I felt a little weak but I had this thing all over my body.

I tried to brush it off for a while to avoid seeing a doctor but it got to a point where I could barely open my eyes in the morning from all the swelling that it was probably a good time to see someone about it. The strange thing was that my brother-in-law Jeremy had it too but he and I had a different range of severity, me being on the high side. But my sister, niece and nephew had no signs of it whatsoever.

My dad works for an insurance company here so we were able to see the first doctor immediately but she just sent us off with a prescription and no real explanation to why this was happening to us. When it got significantly worse the next day, we were sent to the Emergency Room at Manila Doctors Hospital with the intention of being hospitalized. We spent 8 hours being proded by numerous doctors and nurses, blood tests, and to see our reaction to a cocktail of medicine through intravenous. I was in and out of sleep from all the drugs but at least I was reacting positively. We were on a waitlist for a hospital room (so was everyone else and hardly any spaces had been available for 3 weeks) but Jeremy and I were pretty adamant that we didn't want to stay in a hospital. We were sent home with some more medication and another appointment with an allergologist the next day.

Unfortunately by the following morning I did not show any improvement. The allergologist saw us and since I was more severe suggested that I have a total IGE to find out exactly what I'm allergic to. He still didn't have a direct explanation for why this was happening, maybe the climate, the food, or an allergic reaction to a drug. So once again I get my blood drawn and I'm told to wait for my test results in 4 days. This is the most blood I have ever had drawn in my entire life and my arms still have the bruises to show for it.

My sister and her family were leaving for Ilocos the next day and I was supposed to leave for Palawan but because I had those test results to wait for I was trapped in Manila for another 5 days. So my dad found me a condo to stay at by myself to undergo somewhat of a self-imposed quarantine. Fortunately for me the place had stolen wi-fi and cable tv so I wouldn't go completely insane.

I've gotten so much better now thanks to alot of sleeping. I'm not quite sure if all the drugs were really helping and I think it's a little strange that a possible drug induced allergic reaction is trying to be cured with more drugs. I honestly believe it's all the sleep I've been getting that's helping me.

I return to the hospital today for my test results and they are not ready. I came even a day after the proposed due date and still nothing. The woman at the hospital was completely useless and gave me some lame explanation as to why the results weren't ready. She just gave me some number to call back in a couple of days.

Well screw that. I was feeling and looking better and I wasn't about to waste anymore time in Manila. I went to another doctor for a second opinion and after she gave me the okay I booked my flight to Palawan leaving for tomorrow morning. It was only $35 so I couldn't pass it up either.

The last 10 days has been a mess of doctor's visits, blood tests, and no answers. I think I just really needed to be out of this dirty Manila air and in some island sun. Despite the genuine efforts of some medical staff, I would never want to be in a hospital setting in a third world country again. Organization is laxed, privacy is almost non-existant, and even for a foreigner the bills are becoming a little expensive. I have travel insurance so I'll be reimbursed but I can't imagine all the locals here who need to pay just to get a 3 minute consultation after an hour wait. Throughout all of this at least my brother-in-law was with me. I would have completely hated this if I had experienced it all by myself.

I'm sure that Palawan will cure me. I leave bright and early tomorrow so I can finally get all my diving started.

My Live Slash Work space during the quarantine

Photobucket

View from 30 floors up in Mandaluyong City

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment