Jan 16, 2009

Santo Niño Feast Day Celebration

The main event for the Santo Niño Feast Day Celebration started bright and early on Saturday Jan 11. Of course, we were late.

But my cousin Brendon (one of the Hermano Mayores along with his brother Byron who had already returned to the States) and his family were the main attraction anyways. I tiptoe into Basey Church (as best I could but I felt everyone's eyes watching me) and sneak into the front pew, reserved for the Hermanos' family. The service was long, especially so because I don't understand any Waray. When the priest did speak english he made sure to point out (ever so discretely) all the people who hadn't been to the celebration before. And when I say discretely, I mean point and make direct eye contact with the "foreigners." I was sitting right next to Karen (who's white) and he was staring at her the whole time! He was so obvious about who the "foreigners" were!

The following are pictures after the service.

Try to find Brendon. He's the dark one.

Photobucket

My mom handing out candy to all the little boys in the church along with juice boxes.

Photobucket

On the way to the Cabigon house (my mom's ancestral home) in Sulod. Only a 5 minute walk away.

Photobucket

The image of the Santo Niño will stay in the posession of the Hermanos Mayores until the following year.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment