Jan 16, 2009

Babies & Planes

They don’t mix.

I arrived in Manila last Thursday and my sister, her husband, and 2 kids arrived 12 hours later. I arrived at 12:00pm and I was wide awake, despite barely getting any sleep on any of my flights. It was the first time I arrived in the Philippines during the day, usually I arrive at night just in time to go to sleep which usually helps in getting over the jetlag.

My dad picks me up at the airport and takes me on a mini driving tour of the new things built since I had been here last (4 years ago) before heading to the hotel. They also changed some major street names just when I starting to remember them all. Most things were recognizable but he made sure to show me the most gargantuan mall ever, the Mall of Asia. Goodness, could that thing be anymore excessive! Even from the outside it must have been a few blocks wide.

By this time I was still wide awake, not a hint of sleepiness at all. This was good I thought, I’ll get some stuff done before going back to the airport to pick up my sister. We are staying in Malate (considered to be the Red Light District of Manila which deserves a post all on it’s own) with yet another mall near by, Robinson’s Galleria. My dad goes back to work (he was on this “lunch break” picking me up) and I go to the mall to buy my Philippine cellphone and a couple of small toiletries at the Mercury Drug. Sure enough as soon as I get back to the hotel and settle back in again I pass out for a good 6 hours. I wake up to a knock on the door and my niece running to give me a hug.

It was now 1:00am, and we were all wide awake and hungry. We drive over to a 24hour Jollibee and get a quick bite before heading back to the hotel. We had to get some sleep because of our flight the next day to Tacloban but it kinda wasn’t happening.

I have never really traveled with children and that in itself is a trip. My 3-month old nephew Jaxon has been an angel but my 2-year-old niece Ayla has been somewhat of a terror. When she’s good, she’s sooooooo good. But when she’s upset, she is throwing tantrums left right and centre. My dad and I sat in a different part of the plane but apparently Ayla was screaming like a madwoman for the entire 1 hour flight. I could only imagine what the flight from Canada was like. On second thought, I don’t want to imagine that.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment