Jan 19, 2009

All The Way Live

Photobucket

While I was still in Vancouver and researching things to do in Manila, I came across a page advertising this event so I thought I would check it out while I was here. I had no idea what to expect.

This bboy competition was organized by Bboy PowerSerge (Beatz N Pieces Crew) from California and hosted by Raoul from Supreme Soul. There were 2 prizes to be won; $1000USD for best Crew and $1000USD best Bgirl.

Now, I’ve attended and produced my fair share of bboy competitions but this was by far the most entertaining one that I had been to. It was smaller yes, but the energy in that room was unbelievable. There were crews from all over the world but the Filipinos really came to represent. They were hungry for that prize. Some of them looked really young but already had so much skill when they attacked the floor. Funk Roots from the Philippines ended up taking top prize.

I have to say though, there were some really bad hairstyles there. Alot of the single small braid with short hair going on that should have stayed and died in the 80s.

There were also some dance crews that came to perform: Cre-8 from Norway, Funkanometry SF from San Francisco, and of course the Philippine All Stars. It was so dope to have witnessed this emerging scene in the Philippines.

Inside Embassy Club at the Fort.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Yes, that is an umbrella.
Photobucket

Winner - Bgirl Narumi from Japan. She was psycho good.
Photobucket

Bboy Power Serge
Photobucket

The ultimate battle: The Philippines vs The World. Filipino crews to the right, everyone else to the left.
Photobucket

Photobucket

RJ aka KoolRaoul from Supreme Soul. We became fast friends after I introduced myself at the competition. SVS had been the opening act for the America’s Best Dance Crew tour in Vancouver and he recognized me, more importantly he remembered and loved the music to our 90s routine.
Photobucket

After an invitation from RJ, I went to the after party later on that night at Temple Bar in Greenbelt. The music was great and all the dancers came out to play. A lot of people from the States were here too but the whole club was mixture of locals and foreigners. I met a few more dancers and will be taking some of their classes on Tuesday and Wednesday. Finally!
Photobucket

1 comment: