Feb 7, 2009

Dive 1 - Akitsushima

After a good night's rest, despite the bad karaoke singing at the Coron Public Market, I woke up to beautiful sunshine. I walk over to the Sea Dive Resort for a briefing and to meet my fellow divers for the day. I don't remember their names but our divemaster was British and the other divers were from Denmark, France, Singapore, Hong Kong, and of course me, the lone Canadian.

Now, it has been 8 years since my last dive. 8 YEARS! It was in Victoria, BC with the water at 4 degrees Celsius and I knew that what I was about to see this time in the Philippines was completely different from Victoria. To be honest, I was terrified. To top it off, almost everyone that I was with were Advanced Divers and I felt bad if I held them back because I can't go as deep as them. But as is most things in the Philippines, the certification isn't absolutely necessary and I went further down than I know I was supposed to go. And since I was alone, the other local divemaster Kuya Toytoy was my dive buddy which was alot safer in the long run.

Coron is well known for it's wreck dives and the town is littered with dive enthusiasts from all over the world to see them. The first wreck we saw was the Akitsushima, a Japanese Imperial Navy warship that was bombed by the US task force in 1944.

Our boat for the day
Photobucket

The 2 hour boatride to the first divesite
Photobucket

My Box-O-Equipment
Photobucket

As my first dive in 8 years, it was definitely worth the wait! It was amazing to be under water again and the combined excitement and fear I had made it all the more amazing. And by far, my Canon WP-DC21 Underwater Case has been the best investment. Now I just gotta learn how to take pictures underwater!

The guide rope to the wreck
Photobucket

I'm smiling with my eyes
Photobucket

Don't know what this was but it sure looked cool
Photobucket

The Danes and the Frenchman on the way to the next divesite
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment